PREP 15 mins
COOK 12 hrs
READY IN 12 hrs 15 mins
Original recipe makes 10 servings
• 1 (5 pound) bone-in pork shoulder roast
• 1 tablespoon salt
• ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 1/2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
• 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
• 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1. Place the pork shoulder into a slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Pour the vinegar around the pork. Cover, and cook on Low for 12 hours. Pork should easily pull apart into strands.
2. Remove the pork from the slow cooker and discard any bones. Strain out the liquid, and save 2 cups. Discard any extra. Shred the pork using tongs or two forks, and return to the slow cooker. Stir the brown sugar, hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes into the reserved sauce. Mix into the pork in the slow cooker. Cover and keep on Low setting until serving.